Welcome baby Oliver: an aunt's tale


One of the greatest joys in life is being a parent, although challenging it is hands down the most rewarding experience I have ever faced. The love I have for my children is like no other and from the moment my daughters were placed in my arms I knew my life would never be the same.... the same goes for being an aunt.

 My brother Joel used to say, “I’m not having any kids." He would always say it straight face. I always thought he was full of shit.  But hey, whatever helped him sleep better at night.

Over the years, my other siblings and I had a bunch kids and for Joel, he was content being the coolest Uncle Willis ever! Trust me, my brother loves his nieces and nephew dearly and the bond he has with them is truly remarkable.

Being the youngest brother, I figured he was too cool to be an “uncle”, but he did something that truly amazed me. He embraced the title of uncle and enjoys every minute of it.
  
Honestly, as the years passed, I thought my brother would never settle down and have a family of his own. Maybe he didn't want kids…he’d been pretty sure about it for several years and had no problem reminding us that it wasn't in the cards for him.

However, something changed....and I mean something huge happened, in 2018 my mother and I had begun to speculate that his girlfriend was pregnant. We questioned my brother about it and dismissed the accusations. I dropped the subject, but privately mom and I talked about and truly wondered if a baby was on the way.

Fast forward a few months.... I don't use Snapchat often and never really chat on it, but one day out of the blue I received a snap from my brothers’ girlfriend Chelsea. I opened the snap and starred at it for a few seconds before the realization hit me. I couldn't believe it, but in that moment, I could only reply, "are you serious?" I wanted her to reply back quickly, but I was so anxious and excited to do so that waiting for a reply wasn’t going to do. I couldn’t contain myself, so without waiting another second, I called her. Time stood still and a new calm came over me, she confirmed what I knew all along. Her and my brother were expecting!

I was thrilled for them and I couldn't wait for the baby to be born. Over the span of the pregnancy I realized that both my brother and his girlfriend were going through a whirlwind of emotions. However, as the time passed both became more and more excited about being parents. I am sure along the way they felt unsure or scared even, but I knew they'd be great parents. My brother especially, he was an amazing uncle and was good with children

Oliver Micah Salto made his appearance on March 5, 2019 weighing 6 pounds 11 ounces and was 20 and half inches long. He has the cutest little face and a head full of dark hair. Chelsea often jokes, "I carried you for nine months just for you to come out looking like your dad." She's a ray of sunshine and adores little Oliver so much....and my brother too!

The day Baby O was born my brother video-called me the look on my brother’s face was one I had never seen before. It was pride and love, but only the type of love you feel when you become a parent. That day forever changed their lives, and both are amazing parents.

I am one of the luckiest titi's in the world!


Until Next Time,
 Samantha Jan



















Comments

Popular Posts