Graduation: Class of 2019



One of the greatest academic achievements I've accomplished is graduating from Wilmington University with my Bachelor of Science in Media- Communications. Not only that I graduated with honors: Manga Cum Laude to be exact.

Honestly, if you would have told me five years ago that I'd make it to this moment, I'd probably laugh in your face. 

Some of my family members were jealous of my educational accomplishments. They thought my degree was a waste of time, that me going to college wasn't paying the bills, some kept saying I was better than them because I was in college. True story!

However, I am so glad I didn't listen to the negativity and pushed through it and that is the one thing I am proud of. When they said I couldn't do it, I showed them I could. Although some of my family members didn't show me support, I am grateful for the handful of friends and family that do support me. 

One thing I am extremely happy about was having my daughters see me walk across the stage. When others doubted me, they believed in me. My daughters are the reason I breathe, live, and want to be the best person I can be. I did this for them, and they motivate me every day to never give up. 

I will never forget the look of pride on my mother’s face when she saw me in the lobby after the ceremony. She genuinely cares and supports my dreams. See, my mother and I weren't always close, and we hardly saw eye-to-eye. But once I was in my early 20's and became a mother, we finally established the mother-daughter relationship I always wanted. I may have been a pain in the ass and gave her a bunch of attitude, but she continued to support me. 

I want to thank my brother for also going to graduation. He could have been anywhere on a Sunday afternoon, but he chose to see his sister graduate. He will never know how much it meant to me. As I was walking through the lobby and saw him, I became emotional and gave him a hug. I may have seen a touch of emotion from him (he'll never admit it), but I know he's proud of me. 

With joy come sadness and I couldn’t help but wonder if my father is proud of me. His passing has affected me in a way I cannot explain, and I wish he was able to share this experience with me. I often think of him and can only hope he is proud of the woman I am today.

It may not have been an easy road, but I am so glad to have traveled it. Despite what obstacles stand in your way, no matter what people say to bring you down remember to keep going. You control your own destiny. 

 Until Next Time
Samantha Jan



Comments

Popular Posts